Foreword by Paul Polman, CEO of Unilever
"How we think about and do business needs to change. We need a more responsible form of capitalism."
Inside the Book
Business leaders today live in two worlds, the immediate and the long-term. Given intense and growing pressures for immediate results, many leaders are caught up in a short-term trap, and many organizations are becoming exhausted with activity. But is this activity really preparing them for the future, or are they just trying to hold onto the past?
On the other side, there are fundamental trends reshaping the world in which business will compete in the future. These changes include falling boundaries between industries (e.g., with banks competing with telecommunications firms), a shifting economic center of gravity, and changing expectations – or demands – from consumers, employees and even society as a whole. Incremental change from current business models and mindsets will not adequately prepare businesses for this future.
So the question facing leaders today is how to prepare their organizations for the future, while continuing to deliver current results. This challenge is the focus of Ready? The 3Rs of Preparing Your Organization for the Future. Based on interviews with 156 CEOs and other leaders from developed and high growth markets, the book highlights 5 major challenges facing senior business leaders today:
- Bridging the gap: Understand and address the causes of the short- vs long-term trap in your organization
- Rethinking your playing field: Analyze the trends reshaping your future and define the implications on your business
- Redefining your ambition: Address the need to clarify your vision and purpose as fundamental building blocks for preparing for the future
- Reshaping how you work: Highlight the use of two directional thinking to clarify your “sprints” and “marathons”, explore the need to move from transactional to a relational mindset in your interactions, and move from an organization based on complacency to one with the courage, capacity and commitment to challenge and move your organization forward.
- The 3Rs of preparing yourself for the future: Understand and address the challenges facing you as a leader in preparing yourself for the future.